Older adults are more likely to feel the pain caused by degeneration of the spinal joints. However, they may experience pain related to conditions that affect younger adults too.
Two of the most common causes of low back pain in older adults are osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis.
When the main symptoms are low back pain and numbness that are strongest in the morning and at night or any combination of the following symptoms can also be included:
- Pains that interrupt sleep
- A more pronounced pain first thing in the morning and again at the end of the day
- A localized area of the spine that is painful on palpation
- A dull, continuous, or intermittent pain in the lower back that worsens after a lot of physical activity
- Numbness or a loss of flexibility in the back (for example, an inability to bend at the waist comfortably)
The possible cause could be osteoarthritis of the facet joints, which is a slowly evolving degenerative condition. The pain is caused by degeneration of the cartilage between the facet joints of the spine. Symptoms may come and go at first, but then they can develop into more constant low back pain and, over time, can lead to sciatica.
In case the main symptom is leg pain that is mainly felt when walking and standing. With some combination of these symptoms:
- Inability to walk a long distance without leg pain
- Low back pain relieves soon after sitting down
- Symptoms are sometimes severe, other times mild or nonexistent
- The symptoms are of slow evolution
- Weakness, numbness, and tingling radiating from the lower back to the buttocks and legs (sciatica)
Possible causes could be lumbar canal stenosis or degenerative spondylolisthesis. Both can compress the nerves exit. When patients are standing, for example when walking normally, this increases the compression of the nerve, causing leg pain.
The attitude of the patient and the personal situation they are going through will affect the levels of pain and its duration. For example, in people who are depressed, stressed, or who may be compensated for a back injury, the pain is more likely to become chronic. Patients who do not suffer from stress and who have few psychological complications are more likely to improve with appropriate treatment.
Cordus helps and corrects various spine problems to AVOID SURGERY. Many of the problems that cause back pain originate in the deepest muscles of the spine, which only Cordus can reach. If you are currently undergoing some type of treatment, complement it with Cordus, and if you want better results use Sacrus. We are so confident in the positive effects of Cordus that we offer a total satisfaction guarantee.